Scott@decisions.com

all messages by user

7/26/2019
Topic:
Date/Time Stamp for Completed Tasks?

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
To get the date/time of a completed assignment, you'll need to place a "Get Current Date" step after the "Submit/Completed" step of the assignment.

The Date/Time will be available in the Assignment Data under completed_data_time.
edited by Scott on 7/29/2019
7/29/2019
Topic:
Removing File Reference From a Folder

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
If you'd like to remove a file reference, there's a "Delete Files" step you can use.

You can find this in Integration > Internal Services > File Reference Service > Delete File. This step allows you to delete file references based on their file reference ID.

Also, if you were looking to move the file references, you could use a Move To Folder Step which also uses ID's to determine the object and destination folder.
7/30/2019
Topic:
Checking for Installation Type?

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
Hi jmcmann49,

Yes, you are correct in that you'll need to uninstall and reinstall Decisions if you want to switch the installation type.

In order to check your current installation type, navigate to your Decisions Folder> Decisions Services Manager> Settings.xml. Search for your Server Type and you want to make sure it says Repository. If not, you'll need to reinstall Decisions selecting the appropriate type.
7/31/2019
Topic:
Handling Cancel

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
There is a button specifically for this use case. If you search "Close Button" in your Form Designer, you can use that in your form in order to have a close button without generating an outcome path.
8/1/2019
Topic:
Icon Type must be set to Image Report Viewer?

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
This error is fixed by adding this report into a report viewer then making the following changes.

Grid Settings Type: Specified
- This allows the Icon Type to be changed to "Image"
edited by Scott@decisions.com on 8/1/2019
edited by Scott@decisions.com on 8/1/2019
8/2/2019
Topic:
Scheduled Jobs not working properly?

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
From hearing your issue, it sounds like your scheduled jobs are running the same queue, or thread pool, and delaying each other.

By default, Decisions scheduled jobs run in one queue to avoid overloading the server. This means if Job 1 starts at 9:00AM and takes 20 minutes, Job 2 cannot run until Job 1 finishes at 9:20AM. This seems to be the source of your scheduled job delay. In order to fix this, you'll have to have jobs run in separate thread pools so that they run in parallel.

In order to setup new thread pools:
- Navigate to System> Jobs and Events> Scheduled Jobs

- If you don't have a scheduled job you'd like to use, create a job (NEW SCHEDULED FLOW, NEW AD SYNC JOB, etc)

- Right click the job and hit "Edit Scheduled Job"

- Scroll down to the bottom of the form and there should be an "Advanced" section

- Input a name in the "Override Job Queue Name"
-- This is now it's designated thread pool/queue.

- Make this same change on Job 2 (with a different Queue Name) and they will now run in separate thread pools in parallel.

I've pasted the link to the documentation on "Allowing a Job to Specify Thread Pools" if you'd like more detail.

https://documentation.decisions.com/docs/allowing-a-job-to-specify-which-thread-pool-to-run-in
8/2/2019
Topic:
Azure Server Scheduled Jobs Issue

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
For this situation, you'll need to navigate to:

System > Administration > Servers

Right click the server, and make sure the "Can Be Job Server" box under Name is ticked. I've attached a screenshot for reference.
edited by Scott@decisions.com on 8/2/2019
edited by Scott@decisions.com on 8/2/2019
8/6/2019
Topic:
Diagram Tile Not Displaying Properly?

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
Hello,
By the sounds of it, I’d want to make sure you’re getting the proper integration details. If you grab the integration details from the Page/Dashboard itself, you’ll be greeted with a small note/warning on the top of the page.

To rectify this, you’ll need to add your Page/Dashboard to a Folder, then make that the default page that comes up. Right click on that folder and navigate to:
Folder > Manage > Integration > View Integration Details
You’ll know you’ve brought up a good link if you don’t have the Note/Warning on top.

edited by Scott@decisions.com on 8/6/2019
8/16/2019
Topic:
Reference a dynamic list of system constants

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
Hi there,

There is a way to generate a list of string values, but we should stay away from manipulating System Constants as those should left as they are.

I’ve built and attached an example of how you may set-up a drop down element to pick up a list of values:

First, you’ll want to create a datatype. For the purposes of this example, I’ve created a simple Database named “ExampleStrings” (this will house the dropdown responses). Note: Make sure to tick the “Enable Actions” check box! This will be important later. I created a string data called “Options”. This is the specific field we’ll grab for the drop down later. (See EnableActions.png attachment)
Now that we have a datatype (and configuration folder), I created an “Example Form” which has a drop-down element. This is where we select what populates the drop down. For List Input Source, select “Flow”, for Display Field, select Options, and for Type select our database, in this case “ExampleStrings”. This should also create a Flow ID option where you can choose to pick/create/edit a flow which will generate the data.

If you click Edit, you’ll see my created flow with one step, Fetch Database Entities (Fetch Entities). If you’ll look in the properties panel, you can see there is a Type Name in the Entity Fetch Definition. This is where you’ll select the database as the type (ie: ExampleStrings).

For the end step, you’ll see one piece of data called “Database Options” with the database selected as the type. This is where the “Is List” box should be ticked. This will be mapped to the entity results box.

Our drop down is ready to pull data! Now we need to give it some data which could be imported from a csv file, or by creating a user action.

Creating a User Action:

Creating an “Add Options” Flow:
Navigate to that EntityConfiguration folder that was created when we made the ExampleString datatype. This is where you configure all of the user actions you’d like to perform. At the bottom of the page, you can select User Actions > Create Add Entity Action. I’ve named this flow Create Entity Flow 1.

In this flow, I made a form allowing a user to type in a new option through a text box. This string will then go to a Create ExampleStrings step (location in steps | User Defined Types > Database Structures > ExampleStrings > Create ExampleStrings). In this step, there is an Input named Item to Create. Here, you’ll select Build Data and for the Options field, select from flow and select the text box output from the previous form (in this case, Option to Add).

Creating a “Delete Option” Flow:
Navigate to User Actions > Create User Action. For this example, I’ve named it “Delete Option”. The two steps in this form are the form with the drop down and a Delete ExampleStrings step (located in User Defined Types > Database Structures > Example Strings > Delete ExampleStrings). The Delete ExampleStrings step will need an ID which we can grab from the forms output, ExampleDatabaseStrings.ID. You now have a delete step to get rid of options you’d like to omit!

At this point, you should be able to open up the Example Page and click ADD NEW OPTION. This will kick off that flow we’ve just created and you can add values to this data structure.

Finally, if you right click the Example Form and hit Run Form, you’ll see everything you’ve added to the datatype as an option!
edited by Scott@decisions.com on 8/16/2019
9/6/2019
Topic:
Use Document ID to display image in Image Viewer?

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
Hi jmcmann49,

There is one step that will take care of this issue for you; the GetDocumentDataAsPNG step takes in data as a DocumentID and will output it as png FileData. We can build out an example here:

First, make sure whichever png you’re using is either in the studio or, in your case, can be pulled/fetched via query. Then create a flow named say “Document to PNG Flow”. In this flow, create an input at the Start Step that will reference the Document ID string you’re grabbing. Next, place the GetDocumentDataAsPNG step from the “Steps” column on the right. Feed the Document ID into this, this will then output the DocID as png FileData.

Now that you have this png FileData, you can use the bytes portion of the output (FileData.Contents) as the data for the image form component.
For your case, since you’ve set up a data repeater in a form, you should see the Data Name of the image in the inputs for the form. Choose “Select from flow” and map the Bytes from the FileData to this component. And voila! You should be able to input a Document ID to this flow and have the referenced png display on each data repeater!
edited by Scott@decisions.com on 9/6/2019
9/16/2019
Topic:
Seeing number of entities a user has created?

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
Hello again, jmcmann49!

There's two ways we could go about this; natively in Decisions Studio or via SQL Query:

Decisions Studio:
You can create a report where Data Sources is listed as "Entity Data Source". Here, you can apply whatever filters you'd like. For example:

- If you wanted to see what entities a user created, add a filter and select "Created By Contains" or Created By Equals" and specify the user in the "Value" box in the properties panel.
- At this point, if you add Data Fields "Created On Date", "Entity name", and "Entity Type Short Name", you'll see what this user has created, when, and what it is.

SQL Query:
You can run a SQL query on the database in order to get the same results. Something like:

select * FROM dbo.entity_header_data
WHERE created_by = 'specified user here'

Or if you'd like to specify specific types of entities, you can do so by adding the necessary lines of code:

select * FROM dbo.entity_header_data
WHERE (created_by = 'specified user here' AND entity_type_short_name = 'Flow')
OR (created_by = 'specified user here' AND entity_type_short_name LIKE '%data%')
OR (created_by = 'specified user here' AND entity_type_short_name = 'Folder')

This should show you whatever a user has created!
9/19/2019
Topic:
Importing an Excel File into a Data Structure?

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
Hi there,

You're correct in that you should be utilizing a loop, but for this situation we have a specific step for excel/csv files, For Each Excel Or CSV step (located in Integration > Excel and CSV > For Each Excel Or CSV Row)

In order to utilize this step, you'll send in the excel file data and it will send out the values for the first row. You can then use a "Create Data Structure" step and select "Build Data" in the properties tab in order to map the values of the respective columns (known as Fields) to the fields of your data structure.

For example:
- My data ExcelObjects_DB data structure has two fields, a User_Name and User_Age.
- My CSV file contains the names in the first column and the age in the second.
- I'll go to the Create ExcelObjects_DB step and select "Build Data" for the Item to Create.
- I'll set the Users_Name to CurrentRow.Field01 and Users_Age to CurrentRow.Field02.
- If you run this flow, it will now go through the entire excel file and add it to the data structure.
9/19/2019
Topic:
Displaying a clickable link on a pdf file

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
Hi there,

NOTE: Due to the nature of our forum, to use these tags, just remove the quotes around the letter a.

If you're using the HTML to PDF step, you'll need to utilize the HTML tags:

<"a"> <"/a">

These turn a string into a clickable link.

For example, if you want "http://www.google.com/" to be clickable, you'll need to surround it like so:

<"a"> http://www.google.com/ <"/a">

You can also have a specific string display differently from the hyperlink url. For example, if I want a link to http://www.google.com/ to be displayed as click me:

<"a" href="http://www.google.com/"> Click me <"/a">
9/24/2019
Topic:
Removing Unwanted Entities from Repo Project?

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
Hi jmcmann49,

You can disassociate an entity from a Designer Repository project by right clicking the entity and selecting Designer Repository > Remove from Project [Project Name]. This should successfully remove an entity from a project and you should be able to export the project without this entity being completed.

I've attached a screenshot showing where the Remove from Project action is located.
9/24/2019
Topic:
Changing Assignment Expiry?

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
Hi jmcmann49,

The best way to change an assignments expiration date would be to utilize a "Save" step located in Integration > Internal Services > Assignment. Using this save step allows you to select multiple properties such as the ExpirationDate, AssignedUsers, AssignmentID and more! If you select "Build Data" for the entity, you'll be able to click the "..." icon and tick which properties you'd like to modify (NOTE: by doing this, you'll need to map all the values for the assignment to carry everything over or utilize Save/Update steps to avoid remapping the entire data structure explained here http://support.decisions.com/forum/topic2307-save--update-steps-make-ignore-fields-go-null.aspx).

I've attached two png images to display the Save step in the steps menu and another to display the assignment property selection box.

edited by Scott@decisions.com on 9/30/2019
9/27/2019
Topic:
How to Get Rid of Scroll Bars on Flow Run Parts?

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
Hi jcmcmann49,

Unfortunately, there's no way to remove the scroll bars natively in the Decisions Studio. However, you can remove the scroll bars by applying the CSS to the problem areas in your flow. I've attached the CSS below that you can omit the scroll bars.

If you need guidance on applying CSS or adding new CSS in Decisions, we have documentation on that here:
https://documentation.decisions.com/docs/using-css-page.
edited by Scott@decisions.com on 9/27/2019
9/27/2019
Topic:
User Actions with a Report Data Source Flow

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
In order to get the user action flows from this report, we’re going to need to Override Action Context.

First, we want to make sure we have the table in Decisions. This is accomplished by going to a Designer Folder and “Create Datatypes/Integration”. Navigate to “Database Integration” and Add Table. For my integration example, I’ve used the LOCAL CONNECTION for my example, but select the connection with the information you need of course.

Select one of the internal databases to integrate with then select the Table Fields and Table Key to use, in your case I’d assume it would be the case ID field as long as it's recognized or created by Decisions.

Now, if you create/navigate to your report, select your DATA SOURCE. You should find the dbo you just added under Common > YOURCONNECTIONNAME > dbo.tablename.

Add whichever Data Fields you need in this report then navigate to the properties menu on the right. Open up the “Actions” menu and tick the “Override Action Context” option. This is what will give us the information and user actions you’re looking for!

For this next part, you may need to widen the right tool bar to read the drop down menus fully. You’ll select the Action Context Type (for my example, I’ve selected:

DecisionsFramework.ServiceLayer.ServiceLayer.Services.Accounts.Account

And my Action Context ID Field as the Table Key, Account ID.

Now that we’ve configured the Override Action Context fields, save the report and Run. You’ll notice there’s actions you can now take on the entities in the report.

We have documentation regarding summarizing and walking through this here:
https://documentation.decisions.com/docs/overriding-action-contexts-reports
edited by Scott@decisions.com on 9/27/2019
10/1/2019
Topic:
Call a rule via API to Trigger an Action?

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
Hi jmcmann49,

I'll detail how to accomplish two things as requested; calling a rule as an API and having something be executed depending on the rules outcome.

Setting Trigger Flows/Actions:
1. Navigate to/Create a rule.
2. In the properties menu of the rule designer, you should find a setting under the "Output" called "Allow Actions". Tick this value

3. Now, if you click the "Add" link in the conditional, you can select Run Flow and pick or create a flow that will run depending on the outcome of the rule.

Calling a rule through REST:
1. Navigate/Create a rule.
2. Right click the rule you're trying to call.
3. Select Run [Advanced] > Integration > View Integration Details.

4. This brings up our Integration Details page where you can configure the authentication, Rest Data, how the rule is referred, among other things!
10/1/2019
Topic:
Designers Unable to Upload CSS Changes

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
Hello hello,

So if your designers are receiving this error, you'll need to adjust the permissions on the parent folder of where the CSS is held, System. In order to accomplish this, you'll need to right click the parent folder and select Manage Permissions.

Add your Designer group and select CanUse, CanOpen, CanView, CanEdit, CanAdd, and CanDelete. This should allow anyone in your Designer group to access and modify the files in the CSS directory!

10/1/2019
Topic:
Calculate Business Days w/ a Negative Integer

Scott@decisions.com
Scott@decisions.com
Administrator
Hi jmcmann49,

I’ve attached an example sub-flow which takes into account any weekends and holidays you’ve specified for a location. I've detailed how this flow functions below.

The inputs for this subflow are:

DaysInPast- an integer of days going back
DateToCheck- the starting date for this calculation
LocationName- Indicates Location which indicates holidays (System > System Data > Locations)

Flow Overview:
First, there is a rule which makes sure the value is not below 0 or negative. Then we have a subtract step to account for the additional day that’s in the Get Business Days Between Dates For Location step.

The multiplication step is simply to transform our duration value into a negative (Duration*-1). The Find Guessed Start Date step takes the StartDate and subtracts the Duration giving us the date/reference point for the last steps.

Finally, Get Business Days step goes into a rule which continues to calculate business days between two dates until the business days are equal to the duration from the input. Once they are equal, you’ll have the output date and number of business days from the indicated start date.
edited by Scott@decisions.com on 10/1/2019